INFORMATION ON THE VOLUNTEER EXAM SESSION AT HAM-CON, FEBRUARY 25, 2023
There are four steps to register for the Volunteer Exam (VE) Session.
1. Go to this form and fill out all information.
2. If you do not have an Federal Registy Number (FRN), please go to
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/support/knowledge-base/universal-licensing-system-uls-resources/getting-fcc-registration and follow
the directions to obtain the FRN number.
We cannot examine you without this!
3. Go to the FCC 605 form at http://www.ham-con.org/605Form.pdf and fill it
out on line, and then print the filled out form. Bring this with you to the exam session.
4. The Exam Session will be Saturday, February 25 at 1:30 at the Hampton Inn Convention Center in Colchester.
Enter through Door C IN THE BACK.
If you go in the front entrance, you will likely get lost!
No walk-ins! Applicants who do not preregister, or who show up late will not be tested.
What to Bring!
- One legal photo ID (identification):
- State Driverís License
- Government issued Passport
- Military or Law Enforcement Officer Photo ID card
- Student School Photo ID card
- State Photo ID card
- If no photo ID is available, two forms of identification:
- Non-photo State ID card (some states still have them)
- Birth certificate (must have the appropriate seal)
- Social security card
- Employer's wage statement or Minor's work permit
- School ID card
- School or Public Library card
- Utility bill, bank statement or other business correspondence that specifically names the person;
or a postmarked envelope addressed to the person at his or her current mailing address as it appears on the Form 605.
- Students/minors without a photo ID need to bring only one of the
above items if a legal guardian presents their photo ID; otherwise
two non-photo IDs are required.
Minor children (under the age of 18) may be accompanied in the
room by an adult during the test.
- Federal Registration Number (FRN): VECs are required by the FCC
to submit your FRN with your license application form.
New license applicants should create an FCC user account and
register their Social Security Number (SSN) in the FCC Commission
Registration System (CORES) before attending exam sessions.
Registrants will be assigned an FRN which will be used in all license
transactions with the FCC. For instructions on how to register your
SSN and receive an FRN from the FCC, visit the FCC's Registration
page and the FCC's Registration instructions page:
- If applicable, bring either a photocopy of your current Amateur Radio
license or a reference copy printed out from the FCC website, the
license information printed from ARRL website or QRZ website,
or the original(s) and photocopy(s) of any Certificates of Successful
Completion of Examination (CSCE) you may hold from previous
exam sessions. If your license has already been issued by FCC,
the CSCE showing license credit is not needed. The photocopy(s)
will not be returned.
Instructions on how to obtain an official FCC license copy are on
the ARRL "Obtain License Copy" web page.
- Two number two pencils with erasers and a pen.
- A calculator with the memory erased and formulas cleared is allowed.
You may not bring any written notes or calculations into the exam session.
Slide rules and logarithmic tables are acceptable, as long as they're free
of notes and formulas. Cell phone must be silenced or turned off during
the exam session and the phones' calculator function may not be used.
In addition, iPhones, iPads, Androids, smartphones, Blackberry devices
and all similar electronic devices with a calculator capability, may NOT
- Bring the testing fee, currently $15.00. Please bring cash.The FCC is now collecting a $35.00 fee
that needs to be paid before you recieve your license. The FCC will email you a link to do that.
You have 10 days to pay. You pay by credit card.
- Be aware that some information about you will be made publicly available
on the FCC's website: FCC Licensee Privacy.
- Email addresses are now required on all forms that request it.
If you have questions or issues email at AB1DD at firstname.lastname@example.org.